Monday, March 15, 2010

Only My Bed Remained

When I arrived to the office Saturday morning, I was not expecting to have Zacango community members waiting for me. The word was out that MCC was selling furniture. So, a day ahead of schedule, I was making deals and selling beds, chairs and appliances at bargain prices, nothing more than 600 pesos. “Will you take 200 for the mattress?” I couldn’t say no to the older Doña in her jelly shoes. By Sunday evening, the Olinalá office was stripped of everything except for the tools and computers. My house was empty, only my bed remained.

As MCC shifts its work focus in the region from construction projects to watershed management and capacity building, the necessity for administration and office infrastructure in the area is limited. The Friesen-Pankratz family will continue to live and work in Zacango, and I will move to Mexico City to assume Country Representative responsibilities, while the current couple is on home leave for three months.

No comments:

Post a Comment