Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Work and Hope

I end my time in Mexico and my work with Mennonite Central Committee (MCC) after a flurry of activity in August. This past week as I attempted to give a brief orientation of the MCC work and the city with Luke and Sarah Roth-Mullet, new workers who will be in the Connecting Peoples position in Mexico City, I have hope and faith that the vision and mission of MCC will continue seamlessly in Mexico.

MCC seeks to accompany local organizations and to support the work of the churches. Over the weekend, I traveled by bus, two hours more than probably necessary due to long rest stops, to Campamento Mazahua with members and leaders of the Mennonite Churches of Mexico for the 2nd Anabaptist Convention of Mexico. During our four days together, where about 150 members of the Mennonite Churches of Mexico from the states of Mexico, Chihuahua, Tamaulipas, Veracruz, Sinaloa, and Sonora, I sang praise songs with the more than ample amplification, shared meals and interesting conversations about the work and vision of the churches, and listened to the dialogue related to the Conference theme, ¿Cómo ser y hacer iglesia? (How to be church and do church?). Sharing this experience with many faithful and dedicated people gives me hope for the future work of the Mennonite Churches in Mexico.

I leave tomorrow morning with a deeper understanding of the work and vision of MCC and of development and all its complications and contradictions. I am so thankful for the opportunity that MCC has given me this year to serve and work along side incredible people. I am so impressed by the dedication and passion of MCC workers, and it has been an honor to a colleague in this organization.

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment