Sunday, September 20, 2009

Bienvenidos a Olinala






I arrived to a rainy and cool Mexico City on the eve of Independence Day. I let the true Mexicans give the Grito “Viva Mexico” at 11:00 pm without me, but I was able to see a few fireworks in celebration along with the red, green and white papel picado that was strung up along balconies.

There was not much exploration of Mexico City as I was thrust head first into orientation with the MCC Mexico Country Representatives Marion Meyer and Ricardo Torres. Ricardo and Marion have a wealth of experience in Latin America and have more than ten years of experience working for MCC in a variety of capacities. It was a valuable experience to learn their impressions of life and work in Mexico and to discuss development theory, politics and language and cultural differences in Latin America.

With three days of orientation in Mexico City and a windy 11 hours (should have been 8 hours) overnight bus ride, I stepped off the bus in Olinalá. Through blurry eyes due to fitful sleep we found Meredith, an MCC worker, who drove us through the still dark streets of the town I will call home for the next 11 months.

My second floor apartment is great – lots of windows, open space and a covered back porch overlooking a variety of fruit tress that I hope to take advantage of. I will have the pleasure of being in the center of the action with the zócalo, the town square, a block away.

Still without coffee, I met the MCC team working in Guerrero. Martin and Liz Dyrst and their two school age boys have been living in Olinalá for almost three years and will be transitioning back to the States in April. They have been working on the building projects in the communities. Bruce and Jaime Friesen-Pankratz and their three young children have been living in Zacango, a community about ten minutes by vehicle from Olinalá, for almost a year. They have several education initiatives and watershed management projects that are their priorities. Each family has integrated into the community in multiple ways, and I am excited about future discussions and work. The morning was a time for introductions as well as a time for farewells, as Meridith Maynard, who has been living and working in Olinalá for a year and a half, left today.

1 comment:

  1. Your apartment looks great! Glad to see you arrived safely -Katie

    ReplyDelete