Sunday, September 27, 2009

La Catedral

This morning I awoke at 7 to the sounds of people singing a slow, dirge like hymn. I went to the front windows to watch the procession that had stopped briefly in front of my apartment. About 20 to 30 people from a surrounding community formed two lines for the procession that ended with the two robed priests carrying an icon and cross. Many of the people carried a stock of corn. I assume that the community was walking to the cathedral to offer thanks or receive a blessing for the upcoming corn harvest.

While it seems there are frequent processions for a variety of reasons, this week begins the celebrations for Las Fiestas Patronales the Celebrations for the Patron Saint of Olinalá, which I think is Saint Francis of Asisi. I understand the week will be full of parades, celebratory masses, not much work and general merriment, culminating in a big party and dance on October 3. The big market day is usually Sunday, but because of the feria, stalls will be set up all week.

Inspired by the early procession, I made my own procession into the cathedral for 12:00 mass and was amazed at the beauty of the church. Outside, rows of multicolored papel picado are strung from the surrounding fence to the church, inviting people inside. Inside, the church walls are intricately painted in the style of the lacquer work of the area. Strings of bright yellow marigolds are attached to the side walls reaching up to the center of the building. The icons and statues in the front are draped with marigold wreaths. Perhaps the color and decoration is unique to the approaching festivals, but the church exuded joy and life.

Mass is celebrated at 9:30, 12:00 and 6:00 in the evening. I have yet to attend a 9:30 mass, but the afternoon and evening masses are well attended with many people standing for lack of pew space. I have heard there is an evangelical church in the area, but Catholicism is by far the predominate religion.

This morning I hummed along to songs with guitar accompaniment and listened to the priest talk about the seven sacraments and the upcoming confirmation this weekend. I haven’t been to many Catholic services, but I was struck that the morning message was used as a teaching lesson about the Church structure and rites of passage – quite helpful for one not versed in the rituals.

No comments:

Post a Comment