Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother’s Day

The flower sellers were busy this morning at the market. Sunflowers, lilies, daisies, roses and every other kind of flower crowded the metro on my way to the Insurgentes stop on the pink line. Mother’s Day in Mexico is tomorrow, but my thoughts were with my Mom and family members this morning as I ran through the market and metro and they ran in Pittsburgh’s Race for the Cure.

I spent the day at the antiques market on Calle Obregon in the Condesa area of the city. I meandered through stalls of jewelry, books (Mom, I spotted …and the Ladies of the Club!), sunglasses, old telephones, glassware and of course I couldn’t resist rifling through the Coke memorabilia. There were artisans of various strips and numerous paintings to admire. I was able to escape the stalls to the Centro de Cultura Casa de Lamm which was short on art, but the architecture was worth the detour. By 5pm, as the vendors began to gather their wares, the sun defeated me, and I retreated to a café to read and refresh myself for the journey home.

No comments:

Post a Comment