Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sights and Sounds of Sunday

I almost joined the 5K runners who were crossing the finish line at the park near my apartment. The active runners finished their morning run beside the vendors of fried foods, the numerous dogs romping in the grass, and the basketball players fighting for the rebounds.

I traded the sounds of the park in Portales for the ranchero notes of the live band in Coyoacán in the afternoon. The septuagenarians swayed in couples and alone in the corner of the park oblivious to the people of all ages with Mexican soccer jerseys on trying to catch a glimpse of the Mexico vs. Chile game that was on every radio and television set in the neighborhood. When the skies opened to afternoon thundershowers, I escaped to a café to read, interrupted only by the sight of two Mexican midget men joining me in the coffee shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment