Sunday, April 25, 2010

My New Neighborhood

I have lived in my new apartment for less than a month, but already I have a list of things that I appreciate about my new neighborhood. Over the next few months as I explore the neighborhood more, I hope to add many more points of interest and appreciation.

  1. The market

The Portales market is a 10-15 minute walk from my place. The market comes alive especially on the weekends, but everyday, I can buy an assortment of fruits and vegetables, any and every kind of baking good from the old school Alpina store, and fresh coffee from Lina. There are shops selling party goods to tools to furniture.

  1. The park

A few blocks from the apartment is a great run for running, walking, or just enjoying a green space. Mexico City can get plenty cold in November and December as I’ve experienced, but with the recent heat of these months, I’ve enjoyed the early morning runs in the park.

  1. Proximity to Coyoacan

One of my favorite neighborhoods in the city is Coyoacan, and as I found out yesterday, it is now within a leisurely 25 minute walk. The highlights of the walk include the Olympic pool, the oriental store that sells every kind of spice and all the fixings for great sushi, and Calle Londres where the Frida Kahlo house is located.

  1. Geography lesson

The metro is a five minute pesero (bus) ride away or a 10-15 minute walk, which I prefer. Sevilla, Bulgaria, Rumania, Filipinas are just a few of the street names that I pass.

  1. The merchant at the corner store

La Manzanita is the name of the corner store near the apartment. The man behind the counter is always jolly and always quick to remind me of his time that he spent in the Washington DC area. He feels like there is a connection since Pennsylvania is so close.

No comments:

Post a Comment